dog not feeling wellThere are plants that are poisonous for dogs that can make your dog sick. Most dogs will not eat the plants and flowers below although some dogs will. If your dog does, call your veterinarian immediately. Do NOT hesitate.

The plant or flower that your dog ate may not be toxic. Your veterinarian will be able to tell you what to do to care for your dog. Keep the plants below out of reach of your dog to keep them safe.

The plants that are poisonous for dogs can cause your dog to be sick from a mild illness to a severe illness, a coma, or death. The extent of the illness will depend on what your dog ate, how much they ate, and how much your dog weighs.


Plants That Are Poisonous For Dogs

Aloe

aloeAlthough aloe is very good for us, it is toxic for your dog. The juice from the aloe plant acts like a powerful laxative in your dog.

Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, change in urine color, frequent bowel movements,  and lethargy. It can cause irritation of the mouth, lips, tongue, throat, and intestines.


Amaryllis

amaryllis plants that are toxic for your dogThe amaryllis has a beautiful flower, but the bulb, leaves, and stems can be toxic for your dog. Don’t plant amaryllis bulbs where your dog can get to them, especially a dog that loves to dig.

Your dog may experience symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, excessive drooling, drop in blood pressure, and tremors.


Azalea

azaleaIngesting just a few leaves from an azalea plant can cause symptoms to appear. Depending on the size of your dog and the amount ingested, it could cause death.

Symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, leg paralysis, weak heart rate, and loss of coordination. Delaying treatment for the symptoms can lead to a coma or death.


Begonia

begoniaBegonias are a very popular flower used in landscaping and hanging baskets. The tubers are the most toxic part. These flowers are beautiful in a hanging basket.

A dog who has chewed or eaten begonias could have burning of the mouth, tongue, and lips. They could also develop excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing due to swelling of the throat.


Caladium

caladiumCaladiums are color plants that thrive in the shade. All parts of the plant should be considered toxic, although there may be little to no toxin in the leaves.

Swelling and burning of the mouth, lips, throat, and tongue along with excessive drooling, vomiting, digestive upset, and difficulty breathing.


Calla Lily

calalilyJust like the caladium, all parts of the cala lily plant should be considered toxic, although there may be little to no toxin in the leaves.

Your dog could experience severe burning of the mouth, throat, lips, and tongue, and swelling of the throat causing difficulty swallowing and breathing. You can also expect digestive upset.


Chrysanthemum

chrysanthemumA beautiful fall flower, more commonly known as mums. The flowers, stems, and leaves are all toxic for your dog.

If your dog eats any part of this flower you can expect vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, loss of coordination, and skin problems.


Daffodil

daffodilsThe daffodil has beautiful yellow flowers that are toxic for your dog. All parts of the daffodil are toxic and the bulbs are the most toxic.

Your dog could experience vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, abdomen pain, and lethargy. If they eat a lot, they can have convulsions, tremors, cardiac arrhythmia, and low blood pressure.


English Ivy

english-ivyEnglish ivy is a popular climbing ivy plant that is commonly used in landscape designs. It can be pleasing to the eye, yet the leaves of the English ivy are toxic for dogs.

Symptoms from ingestion include an immediate burning of the mouth, lips, tongue, and throat that can lead to redness, blisters, or a rash. Other symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, and increased thirst.


Foxglove

foxgloveFoxgloves have colorful trumpet like blooms. All parts of the plant are toxic, including the water from fresh foxglove flowers that are placed in a vase.

You may see symptoms like vomiting, nausea, excessive drooling, abnormal heart rate, cardiac arrhythmia, weakness, dilated pupils, tremors, seizures, collapse, and death.


Hydrangea

hydrangeaWith blue to purple flowers, the hydrangea has beautiful large flowers. Poisoning in dogs is rare because the hydrangea plant is bitter tasting, limiting the amount a dog will consume.

Symptoms can include loss of coordination, weakness, seizures, respiratory failure, and shortness of breath. Your dog may also have tremors, and possible death although it is rare in dogs.


Oleander

oleanderThe oleander contains a highly toxic cardiac glycoside in all parts of the plant. Do not use oleander branches as skewers when grilling or allow your dog to chew on or play fetch with as these toxins are harmful to humans also.

Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, abnormal heart rate, cardiac arrhythmia, weakness, and difficulty breathing. Tremors, seizures, collapse, and possibly death may also be seen.


Peony

peonyBlooming in early spring, peony has large beautiful and colorful flowers with a pleasant fragrance. This plant has toxins that are concentrated in the bark.

If your dog eats or chews on the bark of the peony plant in large amounts it can cause vomiting and diarrhea.


Poinsettia

poinsettiaA very popular plant at Christmas time, poinsettia plants are mildly toxic for dogs and you need to keep them out of the reach of your dog.

After eating from a poinsettia plant your dog may have symptoms like irritation of the mouth, excessive drooling, stomach upset, diarrhea, and vomiting.


Sago Palm

sago_palmIf you live in a tropical climate, be careful with the Sago Palm. All parts of the sago palm have severe toxicity levels, with the seeds being the most toxic.

Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, lethargy, abdominal pain, liver damage, liver failure, and death.


Tomato Plant

tomato_plantAlthough the red ripened tomato fruit is healthy for your dog in small quantities, the plant itself and the green unripened fruit is toxic for your dog.

You can may notice excessive drooling, severe intestinal upset, diarrhea, drowsiness, confusion, behavioral changes, weakness, dilated pupils and a slow heart rate.


Tulip

tulipsBeautiful blooms that come in the Spring can be toxic for dogs. Toxins are concentrated in the bulbs. Be very careful not to plant tulips where your dog can dig them up and chew on them.

Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, nausea, increased heart and respiratory rate, and difficulty breathing.


If you see your dog eating or chewing on any of these plants, call your veterinarian immediately. Depending on what the plant is, your veterinarian may want you to bring part of the plant in with you and your dog.

Leave a comment below and share your thoughts or stories. The information on this website is not intended to replace the advice of your own veterinarian, dog trainer, or dog behavioral specialist.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterest